Aeroscreen

All things oily!
jonjh1964

Aeroscreen

Post by jonjh1964 »

Has anyone had any problems with their Aeroscreens getting small cracks/crazing along the edges - particularly near bends - in the hot weather. On the way back from Stoneleigh and then Le Mans mine has developed these - any thoughts on why and how to repair/stop happening again?
Attachments
013f17fa23547d35853dd0de68334a40756e21fb33.jpg
Westfield 129

Re: Aeroscreen

Post by Westfield 129 »

Always a problem over time with plexiglass and other acrylics.

I have even seen NEW screens with cracks,mostly in the side panels.

Not much to do. You can try to polish, but the crazing will continue. Replacement is the cure, until they crack again.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Maybe try to apply EMA Plastic Weld by capilliary action? I have repaired my screen with this solvent before. Polish afterwards. Available from eBay/Amazon etc.

Or this stuff...

https://youtu.be/2hykA01X2hw

https://shop-4-glue.com/plastic-solvent ... s-21-c.asp
jonjh1964

Post by jonjh1964 »

I've spoken to Westfield and, given it's still notionally under warranty, they are going to have their supplier examine the screen and advise on a way forward. Having read a number of technical reports the principal causes seem to be: 1, Use of solvents in cleaning; 2, Stresses caused by forming/cutting; 3, Age/environmental exposure. I can rule out 1 & 3 so hopefully it will be a process issue as the stresses should be removed by post forming annealing.

Fingers crossed for a low cost solution, I've ordered some solvent glue from EMA as a back up
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

If they replace your screen under warranty, can I take your old one off your hands if you’re not keeping it, please? :D
biggles

Post by biggles »

Seconded, please don’t chuck anything like this as useful to us scratch builders!

Wrt the issue, do the parts come with a cut edge or flame polished? If cut edge, maybe flame polishing will protect against crack propagation in a similar way that shot peering protects against it in metal parts?

Cheers from sunny Newark, Tim
jonjh1964

Post by jonjh1964 »

jonclancy wrote:
> If they replace your screen under warranty, can I take your old one off
> your hands if you’re not keeping it, please? :D

I've had to drop the screen back to the factory for them to give back to the supplier.

The edge of the screen looks flame polished.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Worth a punt! Thanks for letting us know! :D
zei220

Post by zei220 »

Jon,
I was looking through some old documents and found the details of the people who used to make the screens..... I used to talk to someone called George. I don't know if they still exist.

White Ellerton
Warwick Rd
Borehamwood
WD61NA

jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

http://www.whiteellerton.co.uk/our-serv ... ylics.html

They do, and I seem to recall their name in conversation with Malc. I was wondering about vac forming headlamp covers in the future, but a screen is just too big! I stop+drilled a small crack on mine.