Bits for sale...

Everything else Eleven related
erictharg

Bits for sale...

Post by erictharg »

Hello folks, long time since I've been here! Clearing out my workshop and I've a few Eleven bits someone may be interested in.
3.9 Midget standard Diff
Metro Radiator (new) which allows a good cooling upgrade I recall documenting on here some time ago.
Pair of front brake calipers
Standard factory aluminium water pipes

May be some other bits as I dig deeper.

The diff and rad are on E Bay but if someone makes me a sensible offer we can sort something out.

Spent the last two years rebuilding a 1947 MG TC that I acquired as a pile of bits. A little more suitable to my advancing years, but sadly not a great deal more comfortable than the Eleven!

Charlie
Morris

Re: Bits for sale...

Post by Morris »

Hello Charlie,

I'm mid way through my xi build so I'd certainly be interested in your rad.

I've put a cheeky bid in on eBay, but if you have a figure in mind for this forum, then that will save you the other site's fees...

Cheers.

Morris.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

If anyone is building a W11, and you don't have a 3.9 final drive rear axle, you should buy one.
Especially if you intend to run 13" wheels, even with a 5 speed. The reduction in RPM in top gear is very helpful in prolonging engine life, and makes cruising much more relaxed.

I have one in my car, with a Datsun 5 speed, and it is just fine, even for fast starts, as the Datsun has a slightly shorter 1st than the stock rib case 4 speed.
It also works well with 15" wheels and a CR 5 speed with the "long 1st" gear set. The W11 is very light, so the longer gear really has no effect on the acceleration, other than it allows the shorter 1st gear 'boxes to be a bit more useful, and offers much more flexibility for the CR boxes with the longer 1st option.
Cruising in 5th allows for 80 mph at around 3500 RPM on 15" race Dunlops.
Putting the longer gear into my car was one of the best things I have done with it.
Simon Marks

Post by Simon Marks »

Hi, All,

I'd certainly second Jan's assertion about the 3.9 diff. I have that, and a type 9, in my Eleven and have a car that is happy in modern traffic - even on dual carriageways / motorways. 13" wheels make 77mph at 3,500 rpm. With my Type 9 having a raised first gear, I have a gear for every occasion! In normal use, even with my Weber 45DCOE, I seem to be getting 35mpg as a matter of course.

Ten days ago, I was at a classic car show with another of my cars. I was parked next to a gentleman with a 1961 Lotus Elite that he had owned for over 50 years. He soon attracted a visitor who I overheard telling him that he had sold a Westfield Eleven which he had not liked. As he listed his issues, I had to but in:
- Hemmed in to his village by speed bumps - the longer travel Protech suspension and raising my engine mounts nearly an inch to move the engine closer to the bonnet had sorted mine.
- Too frantic for any length of journey - why did you not fit a Type 9?
He gave up at that point and went away feeling that he could get no further with his damnation of the Eleven and I had a nice chat with my Lotus owning friend about the internet forums being such a good source of information that the individual builder can come to his own conclusions and build a car to suit his needs.

Simon
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Morris - PM sent
Morris

Post by Morris »

Thank you Charlie - PM replied to.

Morris.
biggles