Strengthened centre main bearing cap

All things oily!
sgrant

Strengthened centre main bearing cap

Post by sgrant »

Is it neccesary/advisable to replace the centre bearing cap, given that my engine is unlikely to ever be tuned up to > 80ish bhp?

If so, can it be done from underneath, with the sump off, or is it an engine-out job?

ta

stephen
erictharg

Re: Strengthened centre main bearing cap

Post by erictharg »

Not needed. Don't worry about it. Unless you're aiming for over 110hp and regular 7500 + rpm. And then you really need to thinking about a billet steel (EN40B) crank.

First bottom end mod, if you are doing a full re-build (aside from balancing) would be ARP rod bolts as the std rod bolts are the first weak link in the chain. But again, for c. 80hp and keeping it under 7000 rpm the standard ones should be OK.
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

Personally, I went for the steel retaining strap as it was a cheap mod and future proofed the engine. 80 bhp may well be fine today, but tomorrow??
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Matt - out of interest, is it do-able from underneath, with the sump off, or does one need to lift the engine out?

stephen
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

To be honest I don't know as I had mine done whilst the block was being machined. IIRC the centre cap was machined down so that the steel strap fitted over the top. Whether this can be done with just removing the relevant cap I wouldn't like to say, perhaps a call to your machinist will help.