Building one from scratch?

All things oily!
jonclancy

Re: Building one from scratch?

Post by jonclancy »

Yet another long post lost. Please can we remain logged in???!!! :(

I might re-write it later, but you know what...

Points.

Why not post pics to Photobucket like this:

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l96/j ... stfieldXI/

sub-albums, too.

You may find this interesting:

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/news/vizzard-free-download.html

PPC project appears dead-duck - panels available?

How about Lotus XV panels from Manik due sometime?

The guys who did the work on my car can alter a chassis to make any panels fit. We didn't need to use glassed in rope for rigidity, just some returns and a Cam-Lok on the bonnet. No Dzus - stainless Terry spirngs work perceftly and I have an excellent bonnet fit.

Cheers

Jon
biggles

Post by biggles »

funny you should mention the PPC mag one, it's exactly what I'm thinking of - Westy body over MK chassis, and actually I'm still kicking myself that I didn't find that body on ebay when it was sold to Kevin Leaper of PPC by one of our compadres on here!!

I had a sneaky peek at a PPC in Tesco the other day, and the chap is doing something with it, he just hasn't updated the staff cars section of the website. Seems as though he fitted narrow body westy 7 wishbones at the front and was in the process of cutting down the independent rear end to fit. Rather than his mooted BMW bike engine, I'm thinking suzuki G16 (from a Baleno) engine mounted on the slant to a, IIRC super carry G13 gearbox to get 1600cc and 90 odd bhp under the front clam and a reverse gear. Super carry rear axle looks like a good width too, so the prop should be useable....

I probably should get in contact. I'm guessing he will be in the market for some headlamp covers anyway, if a group buy does happen.....

Cheers all
Biggles
allymally

Post by allymally »

Hello All, its a long time since I came on to the westy 11 site. so Happy new year to all , lets hope for more sun and less rain in 2013 :lol:
I am a little suprised that no one has made contact with me regarding GRP bodywork as I have moulds for both series one and two. you will no doubt have seen AdamsW's race car, this has very light weight bodywork from my moulds these were developed from race damaged original bodywork.
I have series two moulds for front and rear without head fairing as per beng4's car,"which has now been through IVA" and is now registered, this is the third of my body chassis to go through the test!
Or with headfairing as adams car. The centre section Scuttle and doors is all in one to avoid door catches etc, and fits both series one and two.
I also have series one front and rear sections as per my car on the K series post.
I know some of you don't like the bonnet bulge on my series one front end but there were many engines fitted to these cars in the past.
I have made an aluminium body for a genuine eleven fitted with the Climax twincam with similar bulge its not something I invented.
Over the years I have made, repaired,restored,replicated many "Lotus elevens" probably a dozen or so!
I have made exact replica chassis and several sets aluminium bodywork mostly for working race cars not the ones which sit in garages most of the time!
If sounds a bit like a rant I appologise.
If you want an eleven and you can't get hold of a Westy, do consider making an eleven replica the chassis are not difcult to make if you have the time, and can gas weld to a good standard.
All the parts you need are available form various sources. Most of the chassis you see for sale are made by one excellent chassis builder he lives in the west country, I have never seen his name on here but Iv'e seen peoples names that sell his goods. say no more.
The chassis is only a small part of building an eleven, the aluminium pannel work is quite involved to do properly! that is what makes the Westy so much easier to build, its well engineered to make it look right at the same time anyone could build it
The Westy is every bit as drivable as the real thing and you can do more with it like putting 8inch rubber on the rear this is out on the genuine chassis.
Enough! I may get out racing next year if I can get rid of some personal balast! :lol:

If you need help I'm always here.
All the very best