Ribcase Gearbox Oil?

All things oily!
Westfield 129

Re: Ribcase Gearbox Oil?

Post by Westfield 129 »

I have had engines with magnetic plugs, and engines without. I have had engine oil analyzed every 50 hours. The end result is that I have never lost an engine due to breakage, and have never torn one down, even when I saw a really bad analysis report (which I guessed, correctly, was in error. That engine went right past its overhaul hours, and then some. On tear down, it was found to be in excellent condition). All my engines last for a very long time. Even the race engine on my W11 has nearly 20K miles on it, and is still going strong, with excellent leakdown numbers, and as new oil consumption.

Whatever filings may be floating around are probably in my oil filter, but I often will cut that open and take a look. I always find... Ah, nothing.

All my Alfas came with magnetic drain plugs (there was never anything on them after the first two oil changes). No problems past 300,000 miles. My Mercedes doesn't have one. Its doing fine as well.

Seriously, if there were something in there that was problematic, you would find it when you drained the oil on your blown up engine. You would find it after the fact.

I gauge the engine's condition with leak down testing, listening, and looking for changes in adjustment, performance and consumption.

A few minute iron particles are not a big deal. Just change the oil and filter regularly.
jonclancy

Re: Ribcase Gearbox Oil?

Post by jonclancy »

New GL4 oil is in the box now, and home-made mag sump plug fitted. Gear-changes seem smoother, but the acid test will be whether there is a difference on the next track day.

Hydraulic fluid next.