IVA questions

All things oily!
seajayare

IVA questions

Post by seajayare »

I am a long way from needing the answers but I was reading the IVA manual and a couple of points jump out regarding an XI Westfield kit. Had a quick search on this forum and can't see answers but apologies in advance if they are there (and also if I have misread the regs)

1. Doors: It mentions doors have to be hinged at the front, back or top and mine are hinged at the bottom. Do I have to take the doors off or is there another work around such as making the doors non operational?

2. Windscreen: it talks about all sorts of glass being ok with various marks required. I can't see a bit allowing the plastic of the XI. Am I looking in the wrong place or does that have to come off as well?

3. Demister: it says you have to have one. I wasn't planning on any heating and with no roof seems a bit pointless. Any way around?

4. I have the odd looking extra pod things for the headlights from Westfield which I guess are for the IVA, can the side repeaters be fitted onto the pod and still pass the IVA requirement? Also is there a way to fit the pods that doesn't result in extra holes in the bodywork?

Thanks for any help
Splat

Re: IVA questions

Post by Splat »

Although mine was a 2005 kit, I bought it as a restoration project! (Trust me, it needed it.) Therefore I didn't have the hassle of IVA myself. However, it's my understanding that you have to fit the doors after IVA. Also, if you have a windscreen it must be of the approved glass and demistable. However, I don't think that the Eleven screen is classed as a windscreen, rather as a wind deflector...... And eight years after it was built, mine should leave the paint shop next week with the holes on the front wing tops finally repaired properly!

I'm sure that someone will be along shortly with the definitive answers. You ARE planning on registering it in California, aren't you?
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

For the older SVA Westfield recommended you present the car without doors and without the screen. Not sure if that is still the best option for the IVA. I ended up having to make one small hole in the top of the wing for a single screw at the rear edge of each pod. Repaired with some gel coat bought from Westfield in the same colour.

As already mentioned, if you have no screen you can't require a demister!
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Perhaps the factory can answer these and other questions? They offer a pre-IVA service, IIRC.

Plenty of recent UK cars out there (and other XI). As I understand it, you use the pods, borrow high back seats from WF, remove doors, add rubber trim to all edges and try to cover all the bases in the manual. Pump up the tyres to sort out any centring issues etc etc.

I've not done a build, so can't really comment, but it seems that following the given wisdom will result in a PASS.