Steering column mount mod

All things oily!
seajayare

Steering column mount mod

Post by seajayare »

i have just seen the mention of a mod to the steering column mount but I haven't been able to find any detail. It looks like it involves tapping out something in the mount but what where and why I have no idea about? Can anyone help?

( i made a new topic for it to help in searching for it )

cheers
Splat

Re: Steering column mount mod

Post by Splat »

See my post in the bottom end wear thread.
Westfield 129

Re: Steering column mount mod

Post by Westfield 129 »

Where the steering column attaches to the scuttle (at the instrument panel), rather than bolting the column into the chassis with the bolts, washers and nuts, you can thread the mount, and just use a couple of bolts with flat washers or lock washers (your choice). Much easier than messing with loose nuts and washers, along with the bolts.

I drilled and tapped the mount to fractional size (not metric), so that the chassis/engine on my cars have all fractional bolts (one set of wrenches for the suspension and engine).

This is a very simple mod... Hardly a mod at all. It gets rid of a couple of nuts, and makes the assembly a little easier.

I will check to see if I have a picture, but the whole thing is obvious once you see how the steering column attaches to the chassis beneath the scuttle.

BTW, I use tap sockets and a ratchet with an extension to drive my taps rather than a tap ratchet or T handle if access is restricted. Tap sockets are quite nice to have, and are not expensive.

On the cars I build here, I remove the key switch and lock from the column as well, and install a period correct key switch/light switch on some of the cars, with a start button. I have also used a single race car type ignition on/momentary start switch with a cover.