Concentric clutch slave - Ford g/Box

All things oily!
erictharg

Concentric clutch slave - Ford g/Box

Post by erictharg »

The Rocket box I have picked up for the Toyota engine has a modified nosepiece fitted to take a concentric slave cylinder. No reason not to use one except the cost! The previous owner used the Titan slave cylinder listed by Burton but it's over£90.
However it seems to be modelled on the Saab design that is available to OEM spec for half that cost. I'd sooner use an OE spec part than a special aftermarket item (usually better quality given the volumes made) but does anyone know if the fitting is the same? It looks to be a similar three bolt mounting. Worst case I'm tempted to buy the Saab item and make it fit. For the price I can even afford to carry a spare.
beng4

Re: Concentric clutch slave - Ford g/Box

Post by beng4 »

Hi Charles, I use a one from a Ford mondeo in the A-series box, it works a treat with the midget clutch assembly with the pressure pad removed. Im pretty sure when I was researching how to do this people were reccomending either the Saab or Mondeo, I cut a mount using a jig saw from a 10mm thick piece of ali and bolted that to the end of the bellhousing using the bolt pattern on the end cover. The use of the mondeo clutch release came from some midget guys using the type9 A-series conversion I think.

Ben
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

I'm going to try the Saab unit as it looks to have the same 3 bolt fixing as the Titan item. Worst case I'll have to make an adaptor to suit a 44mm release bearing (needed by my 7.25" race clutch). Will keep you posted.
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

I can advise that a stock Saab slave cylinder is not the same fitting as the Titan / Burton item for use with Ford gearboxes. Although similar in size its three bolt fixing is indexed (vs an even 120deg pitch for the Titan item) and the release bearing is larger than ideal for a race clutch. So it goes back on EBay and I'll source the correct one from Burton. Worth a try anyway.