Handbrake warning lamp

All things oily!
seajayare

Handbrake warning lamp

Post by seajayare »

The build manual mentions using a late midget handbrake back plate with a built in warning lamp switch bracket to save messing about making something up. It also says there is a westfield supplied switch. A couple of questions.

Do you actually need a handbrake warning switch as part of the IVA or subsequent MoT tests? (I can't see it in the IVA manual but there is a requirement to have a brake failure warning lamp tester)

Is there a Westfield supplied handbrake warning lamp switch and if somwhat's it like?

Cheers
Si Richards

Re: Handbrake warning lamp

Post by Si Richards »

Not sure about the IVA requirement for definite but I'm pretty sure you need to have one. I didn't get a switch in my kit but that seems to be par for the course with lots of bits!!!! So rather than buy a replacement backplate I just mounted a small micro switch on the handbrake ran a couple of extenders to tie up with the plugs on the Westfield loom and it all works just lovely.

Can probably organise a picture so if you need one let me know.

Cheers
Si
Visit my Westfield XI build site: http://www.dogs-agility.com/westy_11_page.htm
Daggers-xi

Post by Daggers-xi »

I too did not get switch in kit, ended up get used late model backplate with switch from ebay for a fiver, works great with early handbrake.
Daggers
M400too

Post by M400too »

Welded a plate on and drilled it for the switch on to old handbrake plate works a treat
beng4

Post by beng4 »

Didnt need one when I went through iva in 2012, dont think its changed since then?

Ben
seajayare

Post by seajayare »

Ben, did you have a brake warning light test switch somewhere else when you went throught IVA?

It looks in the IVA manual as though you need to have something to test that the fluid level warrning lamp hasn't blown but if I don't need that (resevoir is clear and there is a level switch) that would simplify the car electrics and that sounds good and I would go down the simplify route.

At the moment after earlier advice I have now got a late handbrake coming off eBay with the bracket (no switch though and £14 so nowhere near as good as daggers £5 including switch) and I am going down the handbrake switch route. But if the ratchet teeth are heavily worn on the new one or the chrome arm I have doesn't fit I am back to a dash switch or even better no switch

I am guessing the handbrake switch is a normally closed (push to break) type?
beng4

Post by beng4 »

Yes thats right low fluid level light only with test switch. I used a trigger handbrake bolted to the side of the tranny tunnel, and did not interpret the iva manual as needing a handbrake warning light- and didnt have any problems at test.

Ben
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

Similar comment to Ben , a " handbrake " switch or warning light is not required , this straight from the tester . What is needed is a fluid level
warning with some means of a " lamp test " , putting the brake warning light as a dual function ( Handbrake on or fluid level ) gives a test
facility every time you operate the handbrake , again a comment from the tester . I used a simple non latching push button to give a separate supply to test the bulb / lamp and this was accepted . A warning light that the handbrake is on is not needed in an Eleven with the position and operating angle of the handbrake lever , it is hardly " discrete " .
Bob Whittaker
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

You can avoid having to wire another switch with a "push to test" warning lamp.

Aircraft Spruce has them, as do lots of production cars. The aircraft lamps look cool, though.