T9 ford gearbox

All things oily!
seajayare

Re: T9 ford gearbox

Post by seajayare »

M400too,
any chance you have some pics of the installation of your T9 and the reduced grinding (I have seen the cut away on westfield129 site but good to see is you managed with a grind without cutting through) I am just starting to scratch my head on the gearbox install and was about to put the mount on the bolt on plate so any pics of stuff in place would help

cheers

Chris
Westfield 129

Re: T9 ford gearbox

Post by Westfield 129 »

The cutting through was necessary as the other chassis all needed this cut away for sufficient clearance. I got tired of removing engines to fix this problem after the original builder sent me the car to correct the "mysterious rattle". All the problems were encountered on late chassis, specifically for Type 9 installation.

The amount of metal that has to be removed is determined by driving the car. After a couple of hundred miles, when everything loosens up and settles into place, you will usually find that the bell housing has to be further relieved, hence the cut into the starter cavity. That way, the engine only has to go in once.

When fitting the engine and trans, it appears that only the lump has to be ground away using an angle grinder. The reality is that quite a bit more metal needs to be removed. Just my experience. Yours may vary.

The engine and trans can move around quite a bit, and if there is not enough clearance, the bell housing will rattle against the frame during hard cornering, or in bumpy corners.