Seat fitting - any handy hints?

All things oily!
seajayare

Seat fitting - any handy hints?

Post by seajayare »

I have been looking at how to fit my kits seats (photo of seats and rails attached) and before I just start drilling holes thought I would check for any handy hints.

My seats have no markings/holes/bolts/nuts so I am planning to drill through the base of the seat and use dome head bolts and wide washers down through the seat and floor and bolt the passenger seat straight to the floor. I was going to pick four places near the outside edges of the base.

The drivers side has adjustable rails supplied along with 4 bolts and spacers. Do the spacers go between the rail and the floor to lift the rail up ( maybe that will move the adjusting lever high enough to clear the chassis member under that runs under your knees otherwise it fouls and limits the movement to and inch!) or is there another solution?

Thanks for any wise words.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Splat

Re: Seat fitting - any handy hints?

Post by Splat »

I'm in Copenhagen, so I can't pop out to the garage to check, but that lever looks way too long. My car utilised the standard MG runners, the lever only protruding an inch or so beyond the seat and allowing about six inches of adjustment.

Otherwise, you're suggestion for fixing the pax seat is exactly as mine is done.
Simon Marks

Re: Seat fitting - any handy hints?

Post by Simon Marks »

Hi,

If you are to borrow temporary seats for the IVA test, also consider their mountings when deciding where to drill the holes in the seats/runners.

I have bolted both my driver and passenger seat to the floor and, as you described, used large washers above the seat and below the floor. I carefully selected bolts so that there is not too much projecting thread below the car.

Simon