My 11 build

Everything else Eleven related
zei220

Re: My 11 build

Post by zei220 »

Thanks Jon, I've fitted a voltage stabiliser for the fuel gauge, got it from ebay for £11.

As for the alternator wiring, I'm working through it slowly as I complete the dash wiring etc. I'm hoping to remove any redundant wires by the times it finished.

While the lad was visiting this weekend I thought I'd trial mount the gearbox to the engine.... Seems to stop about 1/2 inch short, it will give me something else to think about. :?:
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

Fuel Gauge ," Keep it simple " , I use a piece of 6mm dowel on The Eleven . The same as I did in !965 on my Series II Lotus Seven . Dip it before I set out and if need be tank up at first opportunity .
I haven't run out of fuel yet in seven years with The Eleven . Mind you I have installed a second fuel tank under the rear body as well as the original in the right hand sponson so I have a total capacity
of approximately eight gallons ( Imperial ) . I have never had to switch to it as a reserve , plus I think with eight gallons available I will have had enough before I actually run out of fuel .
For your interest as well as the second fuel tank in the rear I have also installed a spare wheel carrier with the wheel vertical in the loop under the fin . There is as well a comprehensive tool kit / box
and jack neatly installed under the scuttle with these being accessible within a minute by removing the four quarter turn Dzus fasteners and then the scuttle complete as there is nothing mounted on the
bulkhead .
If anyone is interested I will attempt to publish some photographs .
Cheers , Bob Whittaker
zei220

Post by zei220 »

Thanks Bob, I'm interested.
zei220

Post by zei220 »

Its been a few days since a posted a photo so....

Clutch and flywheel before the gearbox goes on.

[attachment=0]clutch.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
clutch.jpg
zei220

Post by zei220 »

and the completed unit.... just need to finish the wiring and then it can go in.

[attachment=0]engine and box.jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments
engine and box.jpeg
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

FUEL SYSTEM ELECTRICS
Whilst involved with the wiring a very worthwhile safety feature when using an electric fuel pump , if only to feed a carburettor and not fuel injection , is the installation of an inertia switch in the electrical
feed to the pump . I t is a simple job electrically and mechanically , I obtained two switches off Ebay ( Secondhand but functional ) for the princely sum of £10.00 .
Cheers , Bob Whittaker .
Morris

Post by Morris »

Hi zei22,

I've just joined the forum having just (almost) started my xi build - so hello!

I've just completed stripping down my Midget, and a couple of weeks back I dropped off my rear axle and steering section at Westfield for the required mods to be carried out. It was quite an intense few weeks prior to collecting my kit from the factory (last October) as I needed to first build my flat pack garage, and then a wooden engine gantry (with block and tackle) in order to remove the MG's engine!

I've been surreptitiously following your build log on the forum as it has been providing with many useful top tips which hopefully will prevent me from making too many expensive trips up blind alleys!

Keep up the great diary as I'll continue to follow it with much interest. I am currently writing one on the Westfield Sports Car Forum (Morris' XI Build) as that is the one I stumbled across first (once I had joined the Owners Club), but as I am lagging behind you by a few months(!) it may not be of more than a passing interest ;) !

Morris.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Try https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Wes ... ivers/info

This is an owners/builders forum, with a lot of pictures. The admission is restricted (owners/builders), so join and I will let you in.
Morris

Post by Morris »

Many thanks, I'm doing it right now.
Morris

Post by Morris »

Hi W129,

Just logged into the Yahoo group (many thanks for 'letting me in'). Aladdins cave of information and full of great photos. I'll be visiting regularly once I start the build.

Cheers.

Morris.