Cool Tyres for Spa

All things oily!
erictharg

Cool Tyres for Spa

Post by erictharg »

Managed to pick up a used set of the Avon ACB9's I want to try on the Eleven. These are the tyres used on historic FF. Crossplies with proper racing tread. Have decided to fit them for Spa as they'll give me about a 7% increase in gearing. Means 112mph at 6500 in top instead of my current 105. According to my Eleven set up on GT Legends I'll be holding it at that speed for quite a while in couple of places. It also means, of course, that I'll be venturing out at practice for the first time on a circuit I've never driven before on tyres I never driven before...might try them on the road just in case.
So, here's to glorious four wheel drifts and steering on the throttle. I hope. They are big and look like "proper" 60's racing tyres. So much nicer than those pseudo slick A048's. Check them out on google images - I can't paste a pic here. Otherwise all going well. Ordered some harder pads (Mintex 1155) and shoes from Peter May - he recommended them for a 61 min race. Seemed slightly surprised that I'd been racing on the 1144 pads (fast road and hillclimb pads apparently). Even more that I'd run them for 9 races and they're still not halfway worn. Note to self: Must try braking more. When Austen drove at the Rocky track day he complained of fade - something I never experience). Bought all the remaining FIA approved gear I need (underwear and shoes). Front tow point made up and fitted. Low back Caterham seat won't fit without major seat or bulkhead mods, so I've added foam to the original seat for now. Even taken the carpets out. Made the brake pedal adjustable to be able to get the best position with the accelerator for slick heel and toe downshifts. Just need to find the best way around Brussels at close to rush hour. Lille - Charleroi looks favourite.
techbod
Site Admin

Re: Cool Tyres for Spa

Post by techbod »

Doh! shame about the seat after all that faff getting one. What would need doing to the seat to make it fit? Have you thought about the polybag and setting foam seat approach? Might look cruder than the proper Westfield seat but on the other hand it should fit you like a glove if done properly.

"Check them out on google images - I can't paste a pic here"

You can link them as a URL: http://www.avonracing.com/images/tyres/ ... uble_l.jpg

Or you can add any pictures as an attachment which will appear at the end of the post.
Attachments
acb9_double_l.jpg
acb9_double_l.jpg (27.37 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Charles, they look fantastic (and nothing like ACB10's). Shame they are not road legal because that tread is bang on....
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Who's to say they're not road legal when they're spinning around at 1000 rpm....
But they are very light compared to a road tyre. Suspect not very damage resistant. Rears are massive. But they look right