sgrant

Immobiliser

Post by sgrant »

Has anyone fitted one?

stephen
erictharg

Re: Immobiliser

Post by erictharg »

No - I prefer to keep solid state electronics to a minimum on my car. The less there is that I cannot fix myself the happier I am. My version of an immobiliser would be a hidden battery master switch or ignition cut off. The idea that my reliability was in the hands of some second rate entrepreneur's box of tricks is not appealing! Even splicing it into my wiring increases the chance of some failure somewhere...but I can accept that my quality management background may bias my opinion somewhat!
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

Yes I have one, had it fitted locally, I had one on my last car too never had any issues. Had to go for a touch key one as the aluminium pannel would have interfered with an inductive loop one.
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Any idea which one you have?

stephen
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

Sorry for the delay, I had to look it up. Its a Laserline 921K Thatcham Category 2 Immobiliser. Pretty straightforward to fit, but I had to get someone else to do it so I got the certificate.
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Thanks - looks like they are available new on fleabay. I shall give it a go.

stephen
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Hi Matthew; I'm going to have a go at fitting that immobiliser this weekend. Can I check, did you fit yours to the engine side of the bulkhead, or somewhere under the dash?

Many thanks,

stephen
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

I put mine on the ally pannel under the front scuttle. The touchpad is underneath the dash near the steering column so unless you know it's there you will never find it!

Good luck with the fitting, they aren't too difficult but I wanted the certificate that you get with professional fitting to get the reduced insurance. Though quite why if I can completely wire the car and fit Megajolt I am not the best person to do the fitment never made sense.
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Ok, many thanks. I'll give it a go. I might need to ask you a few more questions, if that's ok though!

ta

stephen
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Ummmm......

Matthew; how familiar are you with the wiring of your immob? I'm a little stumped on one wire....