K Series replacement

All things oily!
Markwoodbridge

K Series replacement

Post by Markwoodbridge »

.. starts this Wednesday

I really don't want this to happen again so K Series replacement starts this week. If you're running a roller rocker in an A series this is what may happen if one of the roller pins fails.

[attachment=1]aug 09 080.jpg[/attachment]

Happier times with the A Series.

[attachment=0]DSC00653.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
DSC00653.JPG
aug 09 080.jpg
Mknight702

Re: K Series replacement

Post by Mknight702 »

You'll have to keep us posted on this one. I didn't think that a K Series would fit under the bonnet, I'll be pleased to stand corrected though!
Markwoodbridge

Post by Markwoodbridge »

It won't..
LA 11 builder

Post by LA 11 builder »

What are your plans for the bonnet? Scoop, blister? How much taller is the K-Series once installed? I am looking forward to seeIng how this unfolds, it is not easy to change such a timeless shape and still maintain the grace of the original. Having said that, I for one would like to be able to use a more modern engine with EFI in my own car if a good solution to the low hood line can be found.
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Also interested. I have a k in the Caterham and it's just a fantastic engine....

stephen
Markwoodbridge

Post by Markwoodbridge »

I decided that a bonnet 'bulge' would be OK. if you google 'in period' photos of Lotus 11s many of the bonnets have been modified so I think this is probably acceptable. Any help or advice on the creation of this type of bulge would be useful. So far my thoughts are to cut a hole so the bonnet shuts and work it out from there.

I'm going to run a standard 1.8k from a MGTF135 with Jenvey TBs, a Caterham dry sump and an Emerald ECU to control the banging and squirting. I would rather have stuck with the original plenum induction system from the K but this would mean cutting a massive hole in the bulkhead for the air filter.

So far all I've done is grind off the Westfield engine mounts and had a plate welded on a little further back to accept the new position of the left side mount. I hope it's roughly in the right place. I've also bought an amazing amount of bits..

Is it OK to add photos to these messages? If it is I'll add them as I go along. Mainly to keep me motivated to get on with it but hopefully to inform too.

Another photo from a day trip to Mallory Park

[attachment=0]rsz_dsc_1597.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
An open bonnet head scratching session
An open bonnet head scratching session
techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

"Is it OK to add photos to these messages?"
Yup no problems - if you want to put up a whole load that don't necessarily fit with the text , you can have an area in the gallery to put them in as well - in fact it is a little sparse at the moment so it would be good to have some more to put in there.

Do I spy the back of Mr Best in that photo? (ok his eleven gives it away...)
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Nice spec of engine; depending on your choice of cams, that's pretty much R300 spec, which is good for 155-160bhp. That should make things interesting!!
Mknight702

Post by Mknight702 »

Ah ha, it may be Charles' back, but I think it's my bonnet up. I think that's my Le Mans plaque in the windscreen and it looks like my number plate position which for some reason I put further up the bonnet, note to self, move number plate.

Matthew
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Mark - if you are quick, there might be a suitable engine here -> http://blatchat.com/t.asp?id=211387

stephen