All things oily!
Westfield 129

Re: new member

Post by Westfield 129 »

My LHD car probably arrived here sometime in 83 or so. Our licensing records don't go back that far. It was supposedly built in the UK, even though it was LHD. I found that the original build quality was lacking, so I started over once I received the car. The first thing I did was to re wire it, and replace the dampers and bushings.

Since I have had the car, now about 8 years. I have done the following: Installed a 1380 A series engine with a Longman race cylinder head and a DCOE on a 6" manifold (125 HP), and attached it to a Datsun 5 speed transmission. The rear axle now carries a TranX LSD, recently fitted with a 3.9 final drive and racing axles (as I have broken a few of the standard ones). A Westfield front anti sway bar kit has been installed. The SPAX dampers were without fluid, so I replaced them with AVOs, and I am about to replace the AVOs with double adjustable Protechs, which greatly improve both ride and handling. The chassis currently rides on 13" wheels, but will be getting 15s along with the proper Dunlop race tires in the near future. I have fitted several W11s with this combination. The transformation is amazing, as the bias ply race tires give the car much the same handling characteristics as the solid axle Lotus 11.

I set the chassis up with a somewhat softer rear spring as well.

It is really fast, with 0~60 arriving in 6.5 seconds, and achieving 101 mph in the quarter mile. Weight is about 1040 with fuel. Top speed is in excess of 120 mph, which it achieves easily, and is still gaining revs. I have yet to find a long enough straight at a track to find the true top speed. This performance is much as the original Lotus 11 with the FWB.

W11 129 has been completely apart three times, and it is holding up well. I hope that I can go through it completely with a restoration at the end of this year, so that it matches the brand new RHD W11 I completed a few months ago.

As for the kit price... The basic kit price for the one sitting in my garage was about $28,000. Of course, add in the cost of the donor car, new wheels, strengthened spindles, improved rear axle with the TranX and Peter May axles, CR type 9 from SP Components. One could purchase a Mercedes C63 for the cost of completion with the labor. However, with actual Lotus 11s selling at three times that... I figure we have a bargain.
Splat

Post by Splat »

Chris,

Jan banging on about new v. old (he's forthright, opinionated, writes for a living, and does go on; but some of it's quite interesting ;) ), reminds me of this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=162

Could you ever have envisioned, back in the early eighties, one of your cars undergoing a more thorough future restoration than even an original Eleven would have received at that time............

Many people have produced kit cars, few have produced future classics. Congratulations!
chrissmith

Post by chrissmith »

Wow 129 I am so pleased that I have contribited to your passion!! long may it remain.

Some time ago I was at Stoneleigh kit car show and then Shelsley, looking at all the Westfields, but not really thinking that had I not had a mad idea this would not have happened, but it did and it has taken till now to realise that this hobby is very special to all you enthusiasts out there. If I can relate any old bits of the story then I am happy to do so..anytime

Chris
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

At least I am opinionated about a car that I actually own, constructed, modified, maintained and drive extensively.

I wanted a W11 ever since I first saw a press release and an ad. I figured it would be a great car to stick a 1300 Alfa into. Anyway, 30 years later... I was looking for a Morgan 4/4 racer so that I could stick this SVT Ztec into it. Morgan's had a big spike in price, so I asked my local Morgan dealer if he had a Westfield 11, figuring it would get a laugh. "I have one. 'Came in yesterday". So, I went by, took a look at what was a really ratty and over priced W11, made an offer and bought it. A week later, I went by to pick it up. "Where is your trailer" said the Morgan dealer.
"You sold me a running car, with a license plate, right?" I asked. "It's going to be driven home".

It did make it, but it was really horrible. The next two weeks were spend on 5 mile drives to fix stuff and remove the many "improvements" that the former owner inflicted upon the car. The guy even did a video of all his "necessary work", which I saw just a few months ago. I was wondering why the car looked so familiar in the video...

While the car is still not pretty, it is entirely reliable, handles quite well, and is very quick. It has been one of the most enjoyable cars that I have ever owned. Hopefully, it will be pretty before the end of this year.

What I ended up with was a really beautiful, light weight, tube frame 50s racer that was far more interesting than the average Caterham. I had a Lotus 7 Series 1 prior to the W11, and really wanted something with a streamlined body, but with the same simple construction. Besides, all my friends have Caterhams. I was never one to play "me too".
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

I have a friend who sent me some scans of an Aussie article or two on the XI.

Complete with pics of a certain Mr C Smith (and some early history).

The Australian Sports Car World articles are dated 1983 and '85. The mag went out of production in late '86.

Is there anywhere I can drop them for us to read on the board here? If not, I can email them to any interested parties!

All the best

Jon
xkfeng7

Post by xkfeng7 »

Perhaps you could send a copy to Tom at manik for his reference library.
I don't know how comprehensive it is, but it has provided me with lots of enjoyable reading.
jonclancy

XI Articles

Post by jonclancy »

Yes, that crossed my mind - I've enjoyed Tom's Referecne Library as well! 8-)
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Did someone mention ecoboost?

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=26292

someone's got to try it for size, no?

s
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

I'd like the three cylinder warble, but turbo's are a no-no in our series. Plus suspect it needs "electronics"! I did consider the Triumph Rocket 3 2.2 litre 3 cylinder engine, but the exhaust on the wrong side. Normally I'm not a fan of bike engines in cars but at 2.2 litres it's hardly a "bike" engine!
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

I did - but the exhaust is on the wrong side...