Building one from scratch?

All things oily!
Westfield 129

Re: Building one from scratch?

Post by Westfield 129 »

And it is said that California Department of Motor Vehicles is hard to work with.

Is the idea here to get a car registered, or to skirt tax law?
biggles

Post by biggles »

bit of both for me as we pay levels of tax here that would cause armed insurrection in the States! The IVA test is a one off at about 400 GBP (USD 616 approx) and then road tax GBP 210 (USD 323 approx) every year and petrol is USD 7.60 per US gallon at a rate of 1.54$ to the £.

I also like a quiet life so don't want the stress of the IVA test...!

Edited to add, I was in the scrapyard the other day and ran a tape measure over the suzuki van. Sump to top of engine measurement was approx 450mm. How does that compare with the A series, anyone?

Cheers all
biggles
beng4

Post by beng4 »

My car was put through its IVA retest this afternoon and I went home with the certificate.

It Should have gone through 1st time but for some silly mistakes on my behalf. Now need to go through the fun and games getting it registered. It will now need the body sorting, painting and some day when the weather is good It might actually get driven, it only took nearly 5 years! Feel free to contact me for advice on getting an xi through the test, it wasnt too difficult, not sure Id want to do it again though!

Cheers

Ben
stricor

Post by stricor »

Ben,

well done!!!
It will look the business i'm sure!

Cor
biggles

Post by biggles »

congatulations Ben!

I will be in touch for a bit of advice in due course (not that I am building, I'm still scheming and trying to source a bit of bodywork, since none seems to be coming up on ebay!)

Cheers
Tim (biggles)
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Congratulations, Ben!! 8-) Pics pse!!

Tim, the factory are selling front and rear clamshells for around £750 each.
techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

Very well done Ben, that must be a relief.
Get some pictures up when you get the time.
biggles

Post by biggles »

jon

the factory clams are my fallback but I'm hoping to source something secondhand or from ebay. I think 750 each for what is a single skin rather floppy panel is a bit steep. I'm also going to have to fettle the area around the rear bulkhead/rear wheel blister interface to physically fit in the thing, so i'm not too keen to buy a new panel and chop it around! That's the reason I'm not just buying a kit and getting building - I don't fit a standard westy!

If anyone knows someone replacing their bodywork due damage or getting replacement lightweight ones for racing, I'd be interested to hear, and of course a reward of a few bottles of nice vino applies for a successful tip off!

I'm thinking I'm going to have to go down the route that PPC mag are - squeezing my locost racer chassis under a set of westy or other type clams.

Cheers all
Biggles
beng4

Post by beng4 »

Thought i had posted earlier but cant see it so cant have done! Yes its a mighty relief to have got through the iva, with this being the objective for the last nearly 5 years, it is great to get it out of the way. I dont think i have ever stressed about an exam as much or lost sleep over the anticipation of one as i had the iva! Just the registration hurdle to get over next, paperwork completed just need to get to the dvla office.

Not that the car is finished you understand clearing away the iva mods and setting it all up correctly is still going to take a while, it will be another couple of months before it will be looking good. Ill probably run for a season in the gelcoat finish and then paint at some point, the iva mods have taken its toll on the bodywork and with 5 years of storage in a small garage its has picked up inevitable scratches etc. I have plenty of pictures if anyone is interested, though at the moment the car looks a bit of a sight with all the iva stuff on it. Get in touch and ill send you some pictures.

Cheers

Ben
Elva 11

Post by Elva 11 »

Hi Ben. Congratulations on your pass. I'm a fair way through my build- All the running gear is in, Sorting plumbing and electrics just now. Looking for a test in February. I would really like any tweaks and info on your IVA saga, can you PM your details.
Thanks
Ian