Building one from scratch?

All things oily!
erictharg

Re: Building one from scratch?

Post by erictharg »

Marcus - I do know a man with various bits of Eleven bodywork lying around down in Essex somewhere, and the French guy I bought my tyres from at the weekend is strying to sell and original Eleven diff! I'm inclined to agree with Westfield 129 though that starting with a Westfield and gradually making it into a Lotus Eleven clone is the best option. You can go as far as time and your obsession allows, but all the while having something useable. And, as you say, that registration document is very handy to have. So, Climax engine, De Dion rear, perfect interior, replace square with round tubes, and even having aluminium body panels is all possible on the Westfield base.
cs3tcr

Post by cs3tcr »

I've done it, built one from scratch. Looked at getting a Westfield and came oh so close but elected to build an accurate replica. What i have noticed is the Westfield is a little roomier than the stock Eleven chassis, so if you're larger than average i would go with the Westy.

If i were in the UK though, i would look into getting one of Andy Wiltshires space frames and go from there. It would save a ton of time, plus the less expensive Westy body panels will fit with very little work. I guess the only real downside is trying to pass the IVA with it.
Alan FIAT

Post by Alan FIAT »

Hello there.
Just for info, Mike Brotherwood can make most things for XI's (Lotus or Westfield), including aly' bodies, and he has a great web site for all things early Lotus, even if your just window shopping.
Concerning the engine situation, you could use a 1600 FIAT twincam, such as my car has, as this doesnt alter the bonnet line. However you do need a complicated exh manifold to get the pipe to exit on the left, and they are getting a bit thin to find nowadays.
As mentioned the biggest problem would almost certainly be getting a scratch build registered these days, but its such a enticing idea.

Regards
Alan
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

I'd love to see a picture of your engine installation. A 1600 Twin Cam Fiat sounds like a very nice idea. Did you use a Fiat 5 speed transmission as well?

There are quite a few suppliers of period fittings to make a Westfield look a bit more authentic. I am doing a new production kit here, and have fabricated a new instrument panel, with the proper gauges and switches. I also was able to get the original side lights and flat tail light lenses to go with the Monza fuel filler cap.
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

That sounds interesting; do you have any details on a website anywhere?

If you're going to build an eleven from scratch, wouldn't it be a nice idea to get an old firepump engine off eBay (they are often on there for ~ £200) and convert it? I'd love to do this, but detailed information on the conversion doesn't seem to be readily available.

I've dealt with both Andy Wiltshire and Mike Brotherwood in the past. Mike built the original version of my roll hoop, although I subsequently had it redone at Option One Sportscars.

stephen
techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

On the fire pump engine, unless I missed my guess completely, cs3tcr would be the person with the knowledge in that area -I'm basing this on the youtube videos and I assume he is one and the same person :D. Hello, welcome to the forum. (No waving smiley anymore I'm afraid.)

I've linked to those videos on the forum before but def worth re-posting :

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cs3tcr&aq=f

As far as building one from scratch - I'd still like to go down the Lotus chassis route, but the would mean I'd have to trailer the finished car from track to track if I wanted to drive it. I know, that with the help of the Historic Lotus Register someone did manage to scratch build one and get it registered in the UK for road use - (linked to at the beginning of the thread) http://www.lotuseleven.org/Rescue&Resto/Ken'sEleven.htm , but that was possibly the best part of a decade ago, I have no doubt it would be very difficult, if not impossible to do it now.

So any attempt would have to based on a chassis that had a V5 already associated with it, and that's not going to be a Lotus one, it will have to be a Westfield or similar kit chassis.

If it ever happened, it would be nice to build it with a Top Kit installation. It might be selfish (no passengers) but it looks fantastic.
http://lotuseleven.org/DarkAges6/WithHead.JPG
http://lotuseleven.org/DarkAges6/MonzaOverhead.JPG - not sure about the practicality or reality of making that last one...

(If you get a weird error about remote linking for those pictures then the whole page is here: http://lotuseleven.org/DarkAges6/headfairings.htm)
Alan FIAT

Post by Alan FIAT »

Hi Stephen,
If you type Mike Brotherwood into google you will get his web site, its really good to look at.

With regard to Westfield 129 query re my engine installation, I'm sure I sent an engine photo to Marcus, so maybe he could email you a copy, and yes it uses the FIAT 5 speed box.

Alan
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Hi Alan, yes I'm reasonably familiar with Mike Brotherwood, as I say, i've taken my eleven to him a couple of times; I was wondering whether Westfield129 had some piccies of his period-looking dashboard somewhere on the web, as the standard Midget items are really nice, but not quite in keeping, especially that horrible hazard warning switch!

stephen
techbod
Site Admin

Post by techbod »

"With regard to Westfield 129 query re my engine installation, I'm sure I sent an engine photo to Marcus, so maybe he could email you a copy, and yes it uses the FIAT 5 speed box."

I've added a new album to the gallery called 'technical and detail' for want of a better description. I've put the photos of Alans' fiat installation in there.
cs3tcr

Post by cs3tcr »

Stephen,
I have converted a firepump engine for street use only, if i wanted to build a race motor it would have cost me a great deal more. But, even converting it to a street motor wasnt that cheap. In fact, Mike Brotherwoods offer at 8k is quite reasonable.

I'll give you the run down on whats been saved and whats been changed on my motor.

Saved:
-Block
-Timing Cover
-jackshaft
-cam, cam carrier and tappets
-timing chain
-crank and crank gear (crank is ok to 6k rpm, beyond that and it goes bang)
-liners and pistons (only because they looked new and i didnt think i'd need more displacement)
-oil pan
-oil pump housing
-various external oil lines
-cam cover

Changed:
-crank pulley
-jackshaft gear (changed to steel)
-distributor
-cylinder head (to a later casting with the dynamo boss casting on the side of the head)
-flywheel
-engine back plate, with proper lip seal (requires crank modification)
-valve springs
-intake and exhaust manifolds (intake is ex-Lotus Elite)
-oil pump gears (and should have changed the oil pressure relief spring)
-connecting rods
-oil pump to block "hard" lines (to allow the fitment of an oil filter)
-windage tray

If you are mechanically inclined and can get your hands on the bits that you need to replace, building one up isnt difficult, just somewhat costly.

If you're interested, i've posted a build log at: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... =36&t=3137