A-series Engineblock: Midget vs Mini

All things oily!
Pluscat

A-series Engineblock: Midget vs Mini

Post by Pluscat »

Suppose you need a new A-series engineblock, no problem you think, the A-series engine was used in a lot of cars.....
The A-series was used in the classic mini, so could one use a mini-block in a Westfield XI, Midget or Sprite?
I tried to find out, but the internet did not provide an answer.

Last week I was at the machineshop with my Midget block, and put it next to a Mini-block to see if they are the same or not.
The answer is: NO, you can't just take a mini-block and put it in your Westfield!
There are differences: the engine front and backplate won't fit unless new holes are drilled, the igition is different, a mini uses a mechanical feulpump, etc...
So if your engineblock needs repacement don't bother buying a mini-block unless you want to spent a fortune on machining.
A one-on-one swap between a Spritget-block and a mini-block is not possible
erictharg

Re: A-series Engineblock: Midget vs Mini

Post by erictharg »

It would be possible to use a Mini block but only with a huge amount of work. New sump to replace the g/box and new rear end on the block to pick up the gearbox primarily. It is still way cheaper to find or repair a Midget block (or Marina / Ital for that matter).
Let's be happy that we can use most of the other bits for the Mini in our engines giving a wide range of cost effective tuning bits. Thank You Mini!