Running in of an A-series engine

All things oily!
Pluscat

Running in of an A-series engine

Post by Pluscat »

Well, my A-series engine rebuild is almost ready.
Now I might have a silly question, but how do you run in an rebuilt A-series engine?
What oil should I use? Run high or low revs? etc etc

Searching on the web you can't find the answer, some say this, others quite the opposite, so guys some good advice is welcome........
jonclancy

Re: Running in of an A-series engine

Post by jonclancy »

As you say, there are lots of different ways. But...

my 2p:

Running-in oil or cheap mineral oil. Warm engine, vary load and throttle finishing with wide-open acceleration to higher revs.

Change oil/filter and drive for 500 miles (NO motorway or constant revs etc).

Then select oil of choice.

Something like that. Just be aware that gentle handling might cause bore-glazing.

Jon

Here's a snippet from the WSCC:

Sh1tty mineral oil, start car, drive till warm, give it death for 20 miles, change oil.

Covers the basics I'd say! Personally, I use a decent mineral oil, then as RR says (more or less ;) ), warm it up by driving it gently then gradually wind it up and back down using the time honored ring-bedding technique of increasing load and revs over a few miles (litteraly, a few, 20-30 is fine) then while it's warm, replace the oil with your chosen top quality product, fit a new filter then drive it moderately for 500-1000, another oil and filter change and job done. Bedding the cams and rings is vital for long-term engine performance and life and is nothing new.