Brake pipe fitting help please

All things oily!
Westfield 129

Re: Brake pipe fitting help please

Post by Westfield 129 »

Welcome to my site Si. I have a huge library of pictures. If you need anything, I probably have it covered.

Westfield uses an easy to bend brake line that is available in lengths that will work for your car, without having to flare anything. My guess is that your local auto parts store will be of help. This dark colored brake line is easily bent by hand, or you can use a tube bender. I worked mine mostly by hand. It should be universally available in the UK, as well as here in the US through NAPA stores.

I am going to re plumb my old LHD car in the near future, and I will use the same line, available at my local auto parts store. It will replace the old copper lines that my car currently uses.

I was able to do the entire brake system on the new RHD car without having to break out my flare tool, including the flex lines that I used for the twin master cylinder setup that greatly eases the installation of single or dual master cylinders. I had the flex lines made up professionally at my local race car plumber.
Si Richards

Post by Si Richards »

Thanks for getting me joined up so quick, I have had a good look through the pics and its going to really help so thanks again.

Cheers Si
Visit my Westfield XI build site: http://www.dogs-agility.com/westy_11_page.htm
Elva 11

Post by Elva 11 »

Hi Si. Don't be too surprised if you find other bits that Westfield get wrong. Check the upper steering column tube for bracket distance, mine was 20mm out. Check they have welded a bolt for the main chassis earth and another for main engine block earth. The standard rivnut fix is really not good enough after a bit of corrosion/ vibration. All the joys of kit cars. Hope its going well. Contact me if you need any advice. Cheers. Ian
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Ah, yes. The missing grounding lug in the rear. They forgot that on mine, too. I installed a steel rivnut and a bolt. However, make sure that the rivnut installation is into bare metal, and very tight. If that cable comes slightly loose, it will have you tearing your hair out, if not your entire electrical system. Don't be afraid to use a star washer to secure the cable and bolt.

While there were some "cut to fit" bits, the build was uneventful. When you come to something that needs to be hand fitted, you do the fabrication.

One of the most interesting things about kit building is that the builder will sit and ponder a part installation for hours, then spend 10 minutes on the actual installation.
Si Richards

Post by Si Richards »

Thanks for the tips guys, I've actually put a "folding pondering chair" in the garage now so I can think in comfort!!!!

Spoke to Westfield today and they are sending me out a longer pipe so that should be problem solved, even with these issues I am loving the build its great to actually put your own stamp on it when something doesn't quite fit.

Cheers Si
Visit my Westfield XI build site: http://www.dogs-agility.com/westy_11_page.htm
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

I call it "Thinking Time". Missus sometimes wonders why I'm not "doing", but I'm just working out how to do it. ;)
biggles

Post by biggles »

i was once under my Burlington having some 'thinking time' and woke up two hours later. Twas in the summer so warm and had had a fairly late night (!) before so that was my excuse. Gallon or so of beer had nothing to do with it of course.....!

(that was the old days, there's no way I would even be out of bed if tried that now!)