The Random Technical Question Thread

All things oily!
jonclancy

The Random Technical Question Thread

Post by jonclancy »

Just a repository for random technical questions!

My starter:

What is the best method to install studs to a torque? Double nut, or a stud installer?
Attachments
$(KGrHqJ,!jQE8Jc0!)3+BPMkyPFUv!~~60_35.JPG
$(KGrHqJ,!jQE8Jc0!)3+BPMkyPFUv!~~60_35.JPG (7.15 KiB) Viewed 7094 times
Westfield 129

Re: The Random Technical Question Thread

Post by Westfield 129 »

If you are installing the ARP studs, they have a socket head, and can be spun in with an allen key or T handle, but they are not to be torqued tight. Finger tight is the recommended instruction, with the supplied moly lubricant.

If you are going to install a stud to a torque, use a double nut rather than the stud remover tool. Much more accurate. Make sure that you chase the threads with a tap to clean out the holes, and lube with oil, or moly thread lubricant to get an accurate torque.
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

I always double nut, mainly because I've nothing more sophisticated! I only torque the stud using that method to maybe half the torque I'll be using on the nut when assembling. Just a little over "nipped up". I also worry that stud drivers might mark the surface of the stud as they drive it in. Keep it simple.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Thanks gents.

Next: What grease is best for these XI rear suspension bushes?

Silicone (non-agressive to rubber, brake grease, moly, graphite (black stuff) or LM

Metalastic Suspension Bush
Metalastic Suspension Bush
Click Image for Gallery
Brand: Westfield
Product Code: 4313001
Availability: In Stock

http://parts-shop.westfield-sportscars. ... uct_id=118
Attachments
suspension bush-420x420.JPG
Splat

Post by Splat »

I Coppaslipped mine. Sure that I'll be told that that's wrong :roll:
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Any anti seize if you are going to do them up tight, as designed. Copaslip, regular lithium grease or whatever. Snake oil if you are going to run them loose.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

I use synthetic chassis grease, inside, outside, on the bolt. My bushings rotate about the bolt. They need to be lubricated.

it is also a huge problem with a lot of cars having the center bushing tube, now ripped free of the rubber, to seize on the bolt, making it impossible to remove from the chassis without a saw (which can be a problem if the bolt is a nice, expensive AN aircraft fastener)... Synthetic chassis grease on the bolts and within the tube prevents this. Especially in wet climates.

If you want to press them into the arm with anti seize of copper, lead or other synthetic, go ahead. Always a good idea.

I just use a high quality synthetic chassis grease to lubricate the bush in the chassis.' Works just fine. 'Keeps the center tube from rusting and seizing to the bolt in wet climates.

It is always a good idea to clean the bores in the arms so you are not pressing into rust.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Reason I ask is that some greases attack rubber and soft plastics. In this case, I see that the bush is actually a metal cylinder with a sleeve in the (thin) rubber filling, rather than the sort of bush used in my old GT6 (rubber with a centre sleeve only).
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

The synthetic chassis lubricants are compatible with the bushings. I have been using them for years with a Mobil synthetic chassis grease, or Eon.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Do you need to use Hylomar on the engine backplate gaskets, or is a dry fit OK?