Will a HIF44 fit under the bonnet ?

All things oily!
Westfield 129

Re: Will a HIF44 fit under the bonnet ?

Post by Westfield 129 »

Make a heat shield, not a wrap. The Maniflow's thin pipe will crack on short order if you wrap it.

Weld a couple of studs to the center pipe to attach your heat shield. Alloy works fine (or stainless if you prefer), and you can cut it to shape with tin snips and finish it with a file. I run my car in 43ºC weather here, and there is no problem with exhaust heat on anything other than my feet... (The extended LHD foot box is adjacent the header). The heat shield works quite well in keeping the carb cool. You can add a reflective, insulating material to the inside if the shield as well. There are some excellent stick on materials, and some that can be pop riveted in place for even more insulation, without subjecting the exhaust header to additional heat stress.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi All,

I have a heat-shield/abutment plate as pictured.

Good news is that the flat manifold gives around 10mm lower height than the filler cap (that misses the centre of the bonnet now).

The bad news is that the K&N oval filter just snags the chassis rail by atound 5mm. Solution? A conical filter will work, but the K&N ones are offset (the wrong way!). I'll call K&N to see if they do a non-offset filter. Either that or try the Pipercross filter.

Finally, and more economically, I have a Pipercross rampipe. It's anodised ally and will probably be perfect with an ITG foam sock over it. The total for that set up is around £25.

Edit: got to be a shorter ram pipe. Photo later....

Run out of time.

Taraaa
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Answer: Yes!

I've been tied up, what with an impending house move and conversion course. However, I have persevered and I present to you the Maniflow Westfield XI custom manifold with Pipercross filter. A K&N cone should also fit, but I haven't tried it.

Pics tell the story. Exhaust will be bolted on tomorrow. Bloody hell, it's getting close and I hope it works!! :D
Attachments
DSCF3782.JPG
DSCF3781.JPG
DSCF3780.JPG
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

The filter foam needs to come of if I'm to use the extending bonnet stay. It's a minor detail...

I think I have around 15mm clearance. My blu-tac telltale certainly didn't get squished!

There is also sufficient clearance from the abutment place and manifold.

Top tip - assemble the carb to the inlet manifold first, then install. Saves a lot of fiddly work. I also used a 10mm heatshrink on the bolts to make then snug with some compliance through the inlet and carb mounting holes.

What do you reckon? 600bhp?? :D
Attachments
DSCF3790.JPG
DSCF3784.JPG
DSCF3783.JPG
Daggers-xi

Post by Daggers-xi »

Jon,
Thanks for posting photos, looking good.
I am out of the country at the moment but intend to order a manifold when I return at the end of July.
Have they given the manifold as you ordered a order reference number?
If not it would be useful to have your dimension order spec.
Daggers
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Daggers,

There is no specific reference. It's a "flat" Spritget HIF44 item. Though if you imagine the mounting plate hinged at the bottom and swinging out to vertical, rather than hinged at top and swinging in. That means the inlet tract is slightly longer, but this ensures it clears the exhaust manifold OK. The Maniflow guys reckoned that they could use mine to set up a jig if there was a run of orders, but it's a simple alteration....

Cheers

Jon
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Got her started today. Ran the cam in for the recommended 20 minutes. MOT test tomorrow morning - in the rain!!

I can't wait!!! :D
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

MOT test passed andnow taxed.

Where has the sunshine gone??!!
Daggers-xi

Post by Daggers-xi »

Jon,
Congrats at the mot, a major milestone, can't see that far into the future with my build.
One last question regarding manifold, tubes are at 90 degrees to exhaust flange, is the carb mounting flange parallel to exhaust flange or angled back, can't see from photo.
Cheers
Daggers
biggles

Post by biggles »

Get the sun cream on Jon, scorchio today! Take some pics on your drive(s)!!!