brake master cylinder - is the front connection for front

All things oily!
seajayare

brake master cylinder - is the front connection for front

Post by seajayare »

Just checking but does the outlet of the brake master cylinder closest to the front of the car feed the front brakes ( and vice versa) I can't make it out from the various pictures I have seen on builds.

Be a right pain if it is the other way round now but not as much as a pain as after fixing the p clips!

not sure where else this master cylinder is used but it is the one supplied by wf in 2013

Cheers
Westfield 129

Re: brake master cylinder - is the front connection for fron

Post by Westfield 129 »

The rear outlet for the front brakes.
seajayare

Post by seajayare »

just so i get it right. the outlet nearest the front of the car is for the rear brakes and the one nearest the back of the car is for the front so the pipes have to cross over?

glad I checked as thats not how I have them now!
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Correct!

Little tip: If you run flexible lines from the pipes to the master cylinder, it is easier to remove and service. Use bulkhead connectors for the hard brake tubes to the teflon/stainless steel flexible tubes. Figure on about a 6" run.
There is no down side to this. The pedal will be just as solid as with hard lines. The advantage is that you can easily disconnect the lines (using a banjo bolt) from the master cylinder.

This doesn't add much difficulty to the build, and really makes installation or removal/replacement of the master cylinder easier.

Also, if you decide to run twin masters with a bias bar, the changeover is really very easy, and requires no bending of tubes.

If you check out my photo album on the westxiownersbuilders site, you will see how I did the installation with dual cylinders.

One other tip: If you have problems getting a solid pedal, it is often due to the ball bearings used for the front hubs. A more solid and predictable brake pedal feel is ensured using the taper roller bearings.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

Hi Chris,

Sorry, I've been away.

On my car, the front outlet goes to the front brakes.

HTH

Jon
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Take a look at a Spridget with a tandem master cylinder brake system. I believe that the front goes to the rear (at least it was on the last one I took apart).

Usually, the rear reservoir capacity on the tandem master cylinder is larger, and for the front (larger) brakes. The cylinder for the Westfield seems to have the same sized reservoirs, though.

The "manual" car shows the front tube going back under the car, while the back tube goes to the side. I would assume to the front brakes.

Funny, but there is no brake scheme in the official Spridget manual. If you have a spridget with a tandem master setup, a quick look should answer the question.

As for myself, the front outlet goes to the rear brakes, the rear outlet goes to the front.