LHD Petrol Tank?

All things oily!
seajayare

LHD Petrol Tank?

Post by seajayare »

It looks like to me like my fuel tank is backwards for a RHD car. Looking at the tank with the curve side (outside) facing me the overflow is on the right and the filler/gauge fitting/outlet on the left. This is reverse to the ones in the build handbook and means that the I can't line the fuel inlet with the petrol filler position on the scuttle (about 4" out) and also means the overflow is at the front of the car not the rear.

Are there such thigs as LHD petrol tanks for the XI if there is I think I have one?

Is it possible to use the tank I have in a RHD car or is it a chat with Westfield (who are not great at answering)?

Cheers
Attachments
build manual tank
build manual tank
my tank
my tank
seajayare

Re: LHD Petrol Tank?

Post by seajayare »

Turns out Westfield had a batch of backward tanks and mine is one of those. If you haven't fitted yours yet might be worth a quick check.

Chris
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Fuel tank location is the same for LH and RH drive chassis (RH side of the chassis). The tanks are the same as well.

If you have one that appears "backwards", it really doesn't matter. So long as the fuel filler is in the right location, along with the fuel outlet port (facing forward), it should work fine. It really doesn't matter if the vent is forward on the tank or to the rear, or where the fuel sender port is located.
seajayare

Post by seajayare »

unfortunately with the tank being backwards the filler on the tank doesn't line up with the filler on the scuttle and is about 4" out.

Do you run your fuel line up over the scuttle rather than out to the front of the chassis and back?

cheers
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

I run the fuel line across the floor of the scuttle, using a stainless steel hard line with compression fittings for Aeroquip or Goodridge push on hose to the carb and fuel pump. The stainless line is easy to bend (tube bender required), and makes for a very solid, leak free, clean information.

This saves substantial fabrication time and expense over braided lines and works perfectly well for both fuel and oil systems.

I mount the fuel pump in the normal location, using a fuel pump and connectors that are easily sourced on the road. I had a fuel pump fail, and was able to walk across the street to an auto parts store, pick up an exact replacement and the crimp on connectors for a quick, 10 minute replacement. Fuel filters can be inline or cartridge type. Just make sure that they are easily replaced.