Standard Spax C Spanner Size

All things oily!
Westfield 129

Re: Standard Spax C Spanner Size

Post by Westfield 129 »

You do know that if the damper's threads are clean and lubricated, all you have to do is jack the car and rotate the springs. The collars should rotate as well .

You can unlock the lower ring with a punch and a hammer if you don't have a wrench.
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

I didn't, but that is an excellent tip. Thanks Jan!

I don't even know where my trolley jack is! :D :shock: :( ;)
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

A little penetrating spray like WD 40 or Maltby's goes a long way to cleaning and lubricating the threads and the spring seats. This makes the setting really easy.

You don't need a wrench but dampers (the suspension) should be fully extended. Jack the car so that both ends of the axle are fully extended. This ensures that most of the compression is off the springs, making the increase in ride height easier.

Also, wear work gloves... You don't want to cut a hand on the spring collars. They usually have sharp edges. You will need to grab the adjustment collar, and the spring.

Check the ride height first. If the car is unladen (no driver) you will want about 1/2 inch more ride height on the driver's side as you have on the passenger's side. This will usually keep the corner weights and the diagonal weight within a couple of %.

You will have to re adjust the front toe (tracking) after you make the adjustment in ride height or the steering might be a bit different in response. It doesn't take much difference in ride height to get a change in tracking. Make sure that you adjust the toe with the driver's weight in the seat, or with a driver's size substitute.
bobwhittaker

Post by bobwhittaker »

"C" SPANNERS
Universal " C " spanners which will fit a range of different size are available. They are superior to specific sized items being of forged
rather than pressed steel and are better value for money due they can be used more widely. Choose a respected manufacturer and they
will be in your tool box for years. ( So far 45 )