Springs & Dampers (Not Again)

All things oily!
Elva 11

Springs & Dampers (Not Again)

Post by Elva 11 »

As a complement to the wonderful new bush set combo that Jon has sourced, I've decided to upgrade the springs and dampers at the same time.
I've read and re-read every pearl of wisdom from both sides of the pond and decided to go the Protech route. Spoke to Kevin at Protech this morning and following a discussion specified as follows. All dampers 400 series 1.9" od, single adjustable which controls bump and rebound, bearing mounting top and bottom to suit 1.25" bracket width and 7/16" mounting bolt. Fronts 12.5" long, rears 14" long. Factory set valve reduction to suit loaded/wet car weight of 600kg max.
Kevin thought it would not be necessary to fit Double Adjustable units for road/ track day use- proper racing is another matter.
Springs to suit Front 7" x 350 lb, Rear 9" x 150 lb.
List on a set (4 dampers, 4 springs) is £516 +vat =£619.20.
If we can get 3 sets together for collection at one time with the involvement of a folded brown stationary item £425 each would settle the deal.
I don't have any problem in arranging this but it would have to involve some sort of commitment/ payment prior to acquisition. :o
Initial thoughts on here or pm if you're shy.
Retires to the comfort of fox hole, awaits technical bombardment.
Best wishes
Ian
Westfield 129

Re: Springs & Dampers (Not Again)

Post by Westfield 129 »

Go softer on the front springs. 300 lb.in. is just about right.

The rears at 150 are probably pretty close, but you can go softer if you usually drive alone. In any case, it is easy to change rear springs, and the cost is not so high as to preclude some experimentation.

Protech seems to set the dampers a little stiff, so you might have to make an additional adjustment to the rears in particular, if not the front as well.

If the car is jiggly on the softest adjustment, you will need to soften up the dampers a bit. There should be at least 2~4 clicks of adjustment available from full soft to a too stiff setting. This is more evident on the rears than the fronts.

You know that you have the proper setup if adding one click of rear compression changes the car from neutral to slightly oversteering.

I prefer the double adjustable Protechs as I am sensitive to rebound adjustment to control spring release and reduce the kick after a bump. I have not tried the single adjustable Protechs, so I can't comment on how much rebound increases with compression on their single adjustable dampers.

Make sure that you set the ride height with the driver's weight in the car. You will need all the suspension travel you can get...
Splat

Post by Splat »

Three years on, and I'm still very happy with the Protech set-up.

That sounds about the sort of "discount" that I received for "collection in person" too. My bum was sensitive enough in my youth for separate bump and rebound adjusters to be justifiable on my bikes. I did a little road racing (Scarborough, Dundrod, Portrush and the Manx GP). Now? The Westfield is used mostly on the road and a single adjustment would be fine. I got the doubles for a good price, Neil Slark set the corner weights and valving and I've not touched them in 3500 miles.

I'm not slim. I mostly drive one-up. Maybe 25% with a pax. Often with luggage. Those spring weights work for me.......

If anyone would like to experience my setup, drop me a line. I'm in Andover, North Hampshire.
Simon Marks

Post by Simon Marks »

Hi, Ian,

Thanks for looking into this for us. Please count me in for a set of springs / dampers. This has been rising to the top of my "to do" list so is very timely for me.

Simon
Elva 11

Post by Elva 11 »

Will be ordering these this week. Anybody else want to jump on the bandwagon?
biggles

Post by biggles »

Could you hold off for a few days? I'm after the part built kit Bob posted about. If I get it, I'm in for a set, but I won't know until after next weekend...
Elva 11

Post by Elva 11 »

Hi Biggles. Best of luck with the bidding. PM sent re suspension parts.
biggles

Post by biggles »

Try again maybe, I've not had the mail...
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

I'm in... it's a great deal.

Thanks Ian!
jonclancy

Post by jonclancy »

I'm in... it's a great deal.

Thanks Ian!