Springs & Dampers (Not Again)

All things oily!
biggles

Re: Springs & Dampers (Not Again)

Post by biggles »

Two sets Jon? You haven't been down to the auction and put a sneaky bid in have you :o :o :o :D
Elva 11

Post by Elva 11 »

I'm getting confused here :? . John, I've sent you a PM. Ordered 2 sets today for Simon and Me. Can probably add more but need to know by Thursday PM. Away for 3 weeks from Friday.
Let me know.
Cheers everybody
Ian.
How do I post photos on here?
Splat

Post by Splat »

Having picked up my set in person, I got the distinct impression that turning up with readies would result in a very good deal for anybody. They're just down the road from you, Jon and if Tim wins the auction and wants a set and you end up buying them then I'm more than happy to be the middle-man for transport to T5.
Splat

Post by Splat »

Posting photos....

When you write a post, you'll see below the text box two tabs; "Options" and "Upload attachment". Click on the latter and then click on "Choose File" and navigate to wherever you photos are stored on whatever device you use. You can upload up to three photos per post. They appear in reverse order, the first uploaded being the lowest in the post. If you use an Apple device to take photos, then the device must be the "right" way up when the photo was taken or they'll come out the wrong way round when posted online.
biggles

Post by biggles »

Cheers Splatters!

Of course you could, all going to plan and I need them, head up to Bicester in the Chipmunk and toss them over the side 10 mins before you get there, that would be about overhead Biggles Towers!
Elva 11

Post by Elva 11 »

Simon (Marks). Tried to send you a PM but seems to be stuck in my outbox. All the parts are on order. I'll sort collection etc. out when I get back after 26th March
Regards Ian
Simon Marks

Post by Simon Marks »

I have had a fruitful Easter weekend in my garage with my Westfield Eleven. Apart from changing the brake fluid and fitting a "puller" fan to the radiator (and thereby losing the large, restrictive to air flow, laser cut front mounting of the factory supplied "pusher" fan), the main task was to fit longer Protech dampers and springs to match.

I have read much about the benefits of doing this and have bought 400 series 1.9" o.d., single adjustable (which controls bump and rebound), bearing mounting top and bottom to suit 1.25" bracket width and 7/16" mounting bolt. The fronts are 12.5" long, the rears 14" long. Springs to suit Front 7" x 300 lb, Rear 9" x 150 lb. Many thanks to Ian (Elva 11) for his help in arranging the purchase and collection of these items.

Westfield supply 11.5"/12" shock absorbers and 350/200lb springs - quite a difference.

Fitting was straightforward - though the axle now sits lower in the chassis so a hole needs cutting below the diff housing to allow it to drop. I decided that, rather than leave this hole fully open and allow (even) more road grit to find its way into the rear of the car, I would frame the opening and cut and fit a rubber sheet as a gasket).

After trial fitting the shock absorbers / springs, it was obvious that the lower trailing arm bolts would need their heads reduced to allow the axle bracket and bolts to drop down past the bottom chassis tube. I used a laser disc in a 4.5" grinder and my powerfile to halve the depth of the bolt heads.

With everything fitted, I was able to set the ride height much higher than I was able to with the Westfield supplied suspension units. I have (measured from the ground to the underside of the chassis at the axle line) OSF 5.75", NSF 6.00", OSR 7.5", NSR 6.75". I have seen these settings recommended as a starting point with these longer Protech suspension units and the NS/OS stagger allows for some driver weight. I will have the car corner weighted in due course.

After tidying up the garage and cleaning the car, It was time for the test drive. I screwed the shock absorbers up to four clicks (of 13) all round and headed out of the drive. It was immediately apparent that the car was softer than before but the real change was the lack of crashing out (as the previously fitted suspension frequently ran out of travel). A quick run down a straight road past a couple of nearby quarries where the road surface is rippled (by clay subsoil movement), and rutted (due to the heavy lorries) was so much smoother with the car properly running true. No grabbing from the rear as the wheels seemed to be in contact with the ground pretty well all the time.

I then stopped off at a friend's house for a while and I put an extra click into the rear dampers. Continuing the run round, I could tell that the rear was a bit firmer, but still there was no crashing out and I drove all sorts of roads, from poor surface lanes to the A34 dual carriageway where a section of road that sends my Renault Clio V6 pitching front to rear (with its short wheelbase), was an easy cruise. I even took a little air over a hump back bridge and, whilst there was a tiny rear end twitch to the right on take off, the car flew OK and landed without dramas.

The increased ride height took away all speed bumps and rutted lanes worries - another result!

There's still plenty grip and, as I am using more revs now that the mileage on the engine nears 1,000, the Eleven is turning into a really enjoyable sportscar. All in all, a most enjoyable 50 mile run.

Once I have a roll hoop in place (beneath the rear clamshell) I will head for a track day at Abingdon Airfield, continue experimenting and take it closer to its limits.

Simon
Attachments
Another underside view - the off-centre fixings are where I have used existing holes (for old handbrake cable clips and battery box mountings)
Another underside view - the off-centre fixings are where I have used existing holes (for old handbrake cable clips and battery box mountings)
Underside view showing the rubber cover to the hole in the floor.  Made from 1.5mm ally checker plate (rips nicely onto the rubber sheet)
Underside view showing the rubber cover to the hole in the floor. Made from 1.5mm ally checker plate (rips nicely onto the rubber sheet)
Rear axle, showing cut out in the floor and re-routed handbrake cables (I have disc brakes at the rear) now running over the axle
Rear axle, showing cut out in the floor and re-routed handbrake cables (I have disc brakes at the rear) now running over the axle
Splat

Post by Splat »

Neatly done.

Small world. I part-exed my V6 for the Lambo four years ago. Mine was the Black Gold one with the cream leather Exception Pack. Fabulous fun, but as a daily driver, with a 55-mile commute with luggage, quite hopeless!!
Attachments
IMG_0788.JPG
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

If you have everythig set up properly, you wil find that you will be able to change the car from a neutral handling balance to slightly oversteering with a single click of compression increase.

Also, if you weigh around 170 lbs or less, you can get within 2% weight difference from left front/right rear ("Wedge) to RF/LR with your described measurements. Check the ride height, then correct to your preferred number, driver installed. This is figured with half to 3/4 fuel on board, and the battery opposite the driver on an RHD chassis. This can be easily fine tuned on the scales with adjustment of a single rear damper to 0% Wedge.

Nice hole in the floor. I don't bother to seal that off, as I have a pressure washer to clean the chassis when I wash the thing, or I vacuum it out. I dont have rear wheel housings, either. It gets dirty, but it is easy to work on.

As for that lovely Sport V6... We never got any of those in the US. Probably in another 10 years when it falls through the cracks of our import laws.

I have had my Nacre R5 Turbo 2 for the last 32 years or so... I am the original owner, ordering the car from the factory with 185PS, the CR gearbox and the ZF LSD, Renault sport remote oil filter, quicker steering gear and some chassis bits, fresh Bilsteins, 13" wheels, 15" wheels, Coup d'Europe alloy cage (not a single body crack or separation in the polyester panels and the steel body), all the stuff that the other cars don't have. . I stil can't think of anything that is better to drive here in the canyons above Malibu... BUT...

A fellow on your side of the pond, in the UK, has made me an offer that I maybe can't refuse.
This a result of a car that was recently sold on "Bring a Trailer" for $140K usd. It was a car that I re restored for an owner that purchased a cosmetically lovely "restored" R5T2 that didn't run, steer or brake.Likely the best ever offered here in the US. Now, fully sorted.

I am torn about selling, but the money is quite a bit more substantial for my car (perfect, unrestored and sorted with the really valueable options), but I am thinking Morgan +8 (an early one) and a fresh Lotus 23 (would be cool here with a license plate) or maybe a white Superformance GT40 Mk1 (cue the "Man and a Woman" racing theme), RHD, RH shifter and small block with Gurney Weslake heads (Borranis, too?), and a new Alfa Giulia Quad for my wife... Maybe an Ford RS, or a Camaro SS1LE track car for my daily driver, and a floors and paint for the house. So may cars, so little garage space (and money). I can't have everything at once.

This is something that I never thought about when I bought the R5T2. I bought it because it was the car I would have designed for myself, and I thought that it would be cool to own in 20 years. OH, and it fit the garage. Precisely the size of an Alfa 4C. Decisions, Decisions.

I'll keep the Westfield 11.

Didn't' mean to hyjack the thread, but that Clio V6 is extraordinarily cool. I have a model on my desk parked next to the model of my R5T2.

Oh, I still have an Issels "T300" that I am restoring (re engineering really, as the original version was impossible to drive and broke every 15 miles). Much better now. Should be finished in a few months.
Simon Marks

Post by Simon Marks »

Hi, Jan,

As we live in a cold climate and as I tend to be an all year round driver of my cars, I tend not to over pressure wash them as the water may may not easily evaporate away. Hence the rubber sheet gasket. My Henry vacuum is, however, regularly used.

I'm rather late to the Clio V6 fold only having had mine for a year and a half. For all its many failings it is a most captivating car and I had a chance to take mine round Goodwood last year and was bowled over as to how fast it really is on a circuit. The sound track is amazing and that V6 just wants to howl! I prefer torquey cars, rather than flick switch Turbo power, though I do understand how exciting the latter can be. With the V6, you can actually end up at rather low speeds in fifth and sixth gear without realising where you are, such is the tractability of the engine. As Splat has said, when you have luggage, careful planning is necessary, and will probably involve not taking a passenger - rather like having a Westfield XI really - and sharing the cabin with your engine and box can be funny due to the heat soak when you switch off. However, all that is forgiven and forgotten once you start driving.

I'm with you in enjoying a wide range of cars and believe the right answer was given when someone was asked "How many cars does one man need? - ONE MORE!"

Simon
Attachments
Small Crop 7P2A4789.jpg
Small Crop 7P2A4588.jpg