FAO Morris

Everything else Eleven related
biggles

FAO Morris

Post by biggles »

Welcome Morris, I’ve been lurking on the WSCC forums for a while, and saw your post on V4 yank motors. How about a Pan European v4 or BMW K1200 flat four?
Cheers Tim
Morris

Re: FAO Morris

Post by Morris »

Thank you Tim. I am probably getting ahead of myself by thinking about alternative engines as I need of course to fit the A-Series for the IVA, but there's no harm in researching what is going to come next :) !

I looked at the BMW k1200 head conversation onto the A-Series, but the company who supply the parts told me that it is too high to fit under the xi bonnet, although they unfortunately could not give me any dimensions... There is apparently someone who has fitted the full K1200 engine into a Midget successfully. It looks like the engine retains its lying down position so I wander how good access is to the top of the top of the head once it is installed?

Meanwhile, the Honda ST1300 (Pan European) - now that looks viable (not the ST1100 version as the carbs are much too tall). This engine uses throttlebodies so overall height may not be a problem beneath the standard bonnet. Also this engine is pretty cheap compared to a tuned A-Series. Two problems I can forsee though. One the output shaft is offset so I'd have to think how to mate it successfully to my T9 gearbox, and secondly the exhaust note (sadly) - why do bike engines generally have a winey sewing machine sound about them apart from the Motus V4? For me it is important for he exhaust note to be right. The A-Series is ok but it doesn't quite do it for me...it's a bit of a noisy beast and not too tunefull...!

Anyway I've plenty of time to think about my options. In the meantime I have a copy of David Vizard's book on tuning the A-Series so that'll push my engineering skills to the limit once I get to that stage...
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

Using Vizard's book, I was able to get an easy 125 HP from my 1380 A series at 6000 RPM. Then, I built a few replicas for friends. Very reliable, and everything is available todo this without expensive machine work. The redline can be as high as 7200 RPM, but I have my rev limiter set to 6500.
Its tractable, a fine companion in traffic, and with the alloy flywheel, snaps to redline with authority.

I gave one of the members here a ride. I think I made a believer of him.

The trick is the cylinder head, displacement and cam selection. I used a Longman head, 10.5:1 compression and the SPVP3 scatter pattern cam. A custom Manifold intake with a fresh Weber 45 DCOE and a Maniflow header (made from a Mini Cooper application, cut to fit the W11) that required a couple of cuts and welds. A Fidanza alloy flywheel gave the engine instant throttle response. It's fun to drive.

It's an expensive way to go, but so are all the alternatives if you are looking for good power, and no body modifications.

Stick a good LSD in the axle, and you will have a very capable machine. Much fun to drive.

That book is an excellent resource for modifying the A Series, and you can, from the various charts and graphs, pick a known combination that will make power, and ease the carburetor setup as well.

This, and the A Series ease of assembly (it is really a very simple engine) will allow you to produce a potent power package with relatively simple tuning.
Morris

Post by Morris »

Many thanks for all this information W129. All excellent food for thought for when I start work on my engine.

Cheers.

Morris.