Starter Motors

All things oily!
erictharg

Starter Motors

Post by erictharg »

I'm struggling to get my freshly re-built engine to crank over and start. The static CR is now about 11.5:1. I have a stock recon Midget inertia starter and a battery that is only a couple of years old. I seem to remember that a couple of you out there have replaced the stock starters with geared high torque versions.
I'm charging the battery at present to ensure it's at its best, but if it is still no good I may have to upgrade. If you've upgraded your starter, what did you use and any problems?
erictharg

Re: Starter Motors

Post by erictharg »

Panic over. I'd managed to set the timing about 20 deg too advanced so each time it tried to fire it wanted to push the piston back down the bores. Ahem! I set the timing roughly right and it fire up first time and runs sweetly. Kept it at 2000 rpm for about 20 mins to break in the cam and folowers and get it up to temp.
Will re-torque the head tomorrow and check valve clearances. Then aim to get 100 plus miles on the bores this weekend ready for rolling road next Friday to get the Weber sorted out.
sgrant

Post by sgrant »

Glad you got it sorted!! Been there, done that! I can't remember the circumstances, but I remember mine refusing to start for hours until Marcus rocked up, rotated the dizzy and off she went!

I can't believe you are finally crossing over to the dark side. You are just not going to believe the noise these things make on a Webber!
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

eBay sourced genuine Lucas starter fitted and all working fine. Also turns out that the problem with the old starter is that the endplate that carries the brushes had worked loose. So, easily fixed and I now have a spare starter and battery. Also just picked up an unused Metro rad as a spare for £10. Plus, bought a set of new unused USAAF nomex long underwear for £9.99. So it's not FIA approved but as that's not mandatory yet, got to be worth having. Entry for Spa Summer Classic going in the mail this weekend.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

But a geared Honda starter modified to fit the BMC A or other British engine, puts out more power, weighs about 30% less. No silly Bendix to stick.