Another engine alternative

All things oily!
LA 11 builder

Another engine alternative

Post by LA 11 builder »

This engine has been around for a couple of years now and is going to be for sale as a crate engine soon for $10,000. I see that it is only 20" tall, uses a 12-bolt 9" bell housing and makes 160hp. It will be interesting to see if they develop a clutch and adaptor for inline use! I think an XI would look great with exhausts on both sides and a clear bubble over 4 intake trumpets like an old Ferrari. BTW, my A-series is 22.25" from the bottom of the oilpan to the top ot the filler cap in the valve cover, so this engine might very well fit w/o any Fiberglas work.

http://www.motusmotorcycles.com/kmv4.html
bobwhittaker

Re: Another engine alternative

Post by bobwhittaker »

Reading the brief spec. on the engine , cam in valley/chain drive to cam/hydraulic followers/pushrods/two valves it could almost be a
" Fit and Forget " installation the only engine maintenance would appear to be oil/filter changes . However at $10,000 for a crate engine
it would have to come available on the second hand market before I could contemplate it. Interesting ! ! ! Bob Whittaker
erictharg

Post by erictharg »

Nice! Of course it's not that much different to the Honda V4 used in the Pan European...bigger, but the Honda engine is well proven.
Westfield 129

Post by Westfield 129 »

This is the Katech designed V4, and is essentially half a Chevy V8, right down to the port and combustion chamber shapes.

I would not hold my breath on an inline adapter for a Ford T9 or similar 5 speed.

As for the engine hitting the market second hand, remember that it is installed in an expensive motorcycle. I am sure that once Motus sells a few, there should be an engine or so on the market.
biggles

Post by biggles »

Pan European has been fitted in a locost already:

http://website.lineone.net/~btbromilow/locost.htm